Thursday, October 7, 2010

-A Pain in the Butt-

I have had severe pain in my leg, buttocks and hip now since July.  I have had to jump through hops to get the doctor to take my complaint seriously.  I was sent to the emergency room on several occasions, treated as a drug addict, had to send a letter of grievance, and start the long process of getting a second opinion.
Today, 2 weeks after getting my EMG, I had to call their office to see if my pain management was even thinking of considering a follow-up appointment.  Come to find out he hasn't even gotten the results (I've already had them faxed to myself).

Well, after spending a half hour reading a little of the Gray's Anatomy, and 'Googling' some of my findings and symptoms, I think I am on the right path to finding an answer for the pain.

Piriformis Syndrome- a neuromuscular disorder that occurs when the sciatic nerve is compressed or otherwise irritated by the piriformis muscle causing pain, tingling and numbness in the buttocks and along the path of the sciatic nerve descending down the lower thigh and into the leg.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I'm not a doctor.  But I am assuming this makes sense, with all of the muscle spasms I have been having through out my body.  If my piriformis muscle has been spasmming like the rest of my muscles, it could possibly be the cause of my nerve pain.  To be certain, however, I will check with one of my doctors.
So when I called to make an appointment to have my EMG reviewed, I asked the receptionist to note down my 'theory' so the doctor could see if such findings were in my test.

If I'm wrong, I'm no worse off than I was yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment